Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Gong Xi Fa Cai

As the second day of the lunar year unfolds, I reflect on how good my life is....under the circumstances. Work has slowed down tremendously, as if taking its cue from the US economy, and I find my days in the office rather empty. No more chasing my tail getting things done. No more being chased by my boss who wants me to get things done. No more chasing deadlines that were unrealistic to begin with.  Though I don't know how long this enjoyable slump will last, I am determined to make the best of it.
The team has changed. The person who made going to work each day a secret pleasure no longer works in the same office. I find his absence rather painful. Although there was nothing going on between us, seeing him each day at work was a constant source of comfort. Like seeing the sun shine in the morning. A friendly smile, a light-hearted joke cracked in the car as we car-pooled to work was like an ointment on my aching heart. Things didn't seem so bad when you had a nice friend to share ideas, thoughts and jokes with on the way to work, later at work, and at the end of the day, on the way home from work.  I guess I sound like I have a crush on this person. The truth is the feelings go beyond a simple crush, but my principles prevent me from acting on such feelings.
Today he called. No, nothing important. Needed a favor to pick up some package, which I happily and most readily obliged. As I tracked to the mail room, there were hurdles as construction and building renovation prevented me from taking the shortest path there. But as I was walking around the building, I could hear my heart say, I'd do anything for this guy. Trek mountains if I had to. Such is the motivation that only love can trigger.
I guess he inspires me...though you may never will even know I still secretly hope that you will feel the love and admiration that I keep safely buttoned up inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment